Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Ice Skating, Puzzle, Baseball, Wedding Prep

On Wednesday, Luke had his last ice skating lesson. He could sign up for more, but he doesn't want to. I am impressed with how far he's come in eight lessons. It was great to see so much improvement. During the class, his teacher asked if he was interested in pursuing figure skating or hockey. He told her figure skating, but then said this was his last lesson. She came out to tell me that she thought he had some talent, but maybe they tell that to everyone? I do think Luke is athletic; right now his passion is definitely baseball. He is signed up for the Fall season which starts in the next week or two. So, we will go back to multiple activities (baseball for Luke, ice skating for the girls). Although, Kara did decide she was done with acro and ballet classes. I am a little sad that she didn't want to keep going, but I respect her decision. Both she and Anna are joining a theater club at school, hopefully, that will be fun for them. 

Skating backward

Kara graduated from Learn to Skate 2 and is leveling up

I am having trouble meeting my Goodreads reading goal. I haven't enjoyed the last couple of books I've read and feel like I am in a bit of a reading rut. But, to give me something else to do, I pulled out a puzzle I bought last year. It is a "magic puzzle" and was unlike any I had done before. It didn't just have one edge section. Then, when it was over, there was a little surprise. The puzzle shifted and there was a hidden section to complete. Thomas and I had fun with it.

This was the original puzzle. Once we completed this part, there was another envelope to open. It was very clear that we could not open it until we finished the puzzle.

Inside were instructions on how to move things around, creating this hole in the center.

The envelope contained the pieces to fill the hole and gave the puzzle a whole new story. 

On Saturday, we went to the library. On Sunday, Anna wasn't feeling well. She had some COVID symptoms (sore throat, slight cough, sneezing, runny nose). All her symptoms matched well with a cold, but I also knew we couldn't send her to school. So, we did a rapid COVID test, which thankfully came back negative. I am surprised we made it this far into the pandemic before having to test someone.

Monday, I took the day off work and went to Winter Haven to help with wedding prep for Travis and Elizabeth. Mostly I did chair covers and bows and glass stuffing. Luke had his first baseball practice. He did not get the same coach as last year, but did get to be on a team with some friends, so that is good. It will be fun to see how the year goes. 

Speaking of Luke, I don't think I wrote about his dentist's appointment last week. We are pretty used to quick visits. Anna was the first kid to get a cavity and that just happened this year. So, I was a little surprised when the dentist called me back to a special room. Luke has all kinds of things going on! First, he said we need to take him to an oral surgeon to evaluate a cyst. Ugh. Then, he pulled up another x-ray and said one tooth is blocking another from growing in and his front tooth isn't dropping. For those, we need to take him to an orthodontist. I thought it was over when he revealed Luke also has a cavity. It was not a happy visit. We couldn't get in with an oral surgeon until late-September, but he is seeing the orthodontist on Friday. Then, we will worry about the cavity.

I think that is enough news for now.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, poor Luke! I hope he enjoys baseball. Our boys both started this week and it is Brandon's first season and he loved practice tonight. It reminded me of when Thomas coached Curtis and how fun that was. I've read some great books lately so take a look at my goodreads! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete