Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Mardi Gras and Another Teenager

Last Sunday, the kids and I got to be on one of Universal's Mardi Gras floats. It was super, super fun. They sent out an e-mail in January to pass holders allowing us to sign up for up to two nights. I picked one, but they only let me sign up 5 of us. Thomas said he didn't want to ride the float and would stay on the ground and take pictures. I am very sad that I only signed up for one night, because it was amazing. We checked in and they told us what float we were assigned to (Jester). It was the third float in the parade and one of the smaller ones. We waited in the area where they do the animal show and got our smocks, then they walked us backstage to our float. We received our directions (no overhand throwing). And, off we went. I was shocked by how many people were lined up to see the parade! In many areas, the rows of people were 5 or more deep. There were thousands of beads on the float, we didn't even throw 25% of what was allotted, but we did our best! It was especially fun to see Thomas and to throw him beads. He said the parade was really cool, the floats all lit up and there were dancers and stilt walkers. We are definitely going to go back to be spectators.




The rest of the week was uneventful. Anna went to skating and the boys did their sports. Luke had his first baseball game Friday night. He was 3/3 with base hits. Unfortunately, I couldn't go because I did something to my back on Friday morning and by night, it was super painful. I don't even know what I did. I was exercising, but not doing anything different than I always do when it started hurting. I stopped exercising, but it just got worse as the day went on. It was a lot better yesterday, but I woke up all stiff again this morning, so we shall see. Getting older is hard!

Kara's birthday weekend extravaganza began on Friday when we let her stay home from school. Her day started with a visit to the orthodontist. She is hopefully just a few months away from being out of the braces. Then, we dropped Jack off at school (his treatment is also going well). We went to Starbucks and then Walmart to pick up a few things. When we got home, Thomas took her out for the day. They went to the mall, had lunch at Five Guys, and went to a baseball card shop and a comic book shop. I had also taken the day off from work, but I had plans to have lunch with my friend, Sunshine.  Everyone had fun on their respective outings. Kara got some baseball cards, Thomas got some comics, all were happy.

Kara picked up Luke from school, which was fun for them and nice for me because my back was really starting to hurt. Thomas and the girls went to Luke's baseball game, which they said was fun. They texted me updates. I went in the hottub and Kara joined me when she got home--her last night of being a child (obviously, she will always be our child, but she is now a teenager!). 

Saturday was her actual birthday. We looked at pictures from each of her previous birthdays, which brought back many sweet memories. She wanted to spend most of the day baking. She made lemon poppyseed muffins for breakfast and a banana cake for her birthday cake (I assisted and did dishes). She also made sugar cookie dough for Valentine's cookies she is going to hand out to her friends on Monday. We went to Chicken Salad Chick for lunch. Well, the girls did. Thomas took Jack to his basketball game. His team won and Thomas said Jack played well. He had 8 rebounds, 1 basket and 2 assists. 

In addition to baking, Kara watched The Fantastic Four and went swimming with Luke. We had Publix subs and 'Lil Smokies for dinner. I am not sure how many years now Kara has asked for 'Lil Smokies, but it is a lot. This was the second year in a row with Publix subs. We had her birthday cake, which I liked, but she was disappointed with. It was very dense and tasted more like a frosted banana bread then a birthday cake. She opened the rest of her presents (she got an apron from Jack, a book to track books she's read from Anna, a Chicken Salad Chick gift card from Luke, Croc Sandals and Mini Brands from me and Thomas. The Wills sent her a Harry Potter sweatshirt, which she loves). She said she was happy with how things turned out. We ended the night in the hot tub. 

Sunday, she went to Universal with her friend Sophia. They had lunch at Whole Foods and then went to both parks. Then, they went back to Sophia's for dinner. 

I think it was a pretty good birthday weekend, at least I hope it was. We let her choose everything. We offered a party or to take friends to Universal or Aquatica, but this was what she wanted. And, with our house still torn up, it was fortuitous that she didn't want to invite anyone else over.

1 comment:

  1. Happy 13th birthday to sweet Kara! I'm so glad she had a fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete