Monday, February 21, 2022

Valentine's Day, Crazy Saturday, Nature Drive

We didn't do a lot for Valentine's Day. Luke woke up very excited and asked for a themed breakfast. I did heart shaped toast with eggs and he was happy. Kara gave away frosted heart cookies to her friends, which she said was well-received. Luke's class exchanged cards and lots of candy. We had small gifts for the kids and that was it. 


We are back to lots of activities. Saturday was especially crazy. It started with Jack and Kara doing a solo and ensemble competition for band. They will get their scores this week. Thomas took them and said Jack received really good feedback and the judge told him he should look at adding other saxophones to his repertoire. Kara had practiced a lot, but didn't play as well for the judge as she did at home.


Luke had a baseball game at 12. He played well and his team won. Thomas was the third base coach and I went for most of the game, but left early to go to our third event--Jack's basketball game. The other team didn't have enough players, so Jack and some others played for them. I think he felt more confident playing against his teammates, and he played great; he has gotten so much better! He scored 3 baskets and had tons of rebounds and assists. It was really fun to watch. 

Blurry basketball picture. He was having fun!

After Jack's game, I took Luke to baseball practice for his Cobra team. Cobra is extra baseball, it is a step up from regular little league, but not as advanced as an all-star team. He loved the practice and impressed the coaches with hard he hustled. Any ball that went anywhere near him, he chased like crazy, often beating kids who were closer. He ran really hard and was enthusiastic in the drills. 



While we did that, Thomas took Kara to Universal. It was a concert night and Barenaked Ladies performed. Thomas has wanted to see them as long as I've known him. Originally, we all planned on going, but with how crazy the day was, we decided that just wasn't practical. Luke was not interested in going and it would have been hard to get him to his practice and then get to the game. So we decided Thomas would take whichever big kids were interested. It ended up just being Kara. The park was as crowded as they've ever seen it. They had dinner and rode a couple of rides (MIB and Gringotts) then got their spot right in front of the stage. They had to get there two hours early, but Thomas said it was worth it. He absolutely loved the concert. I was a little jealous, but I don't think I would have been happy standing in place for such a long period of time.

Waiting for concert to start

They said the band was very entertaining.

Sunday, Luke had his first two Cobra games (they play two games every other Sunday). They won one and lost one. Thomas took him while I brought Anna skating. 

Working on her crossovers.

Today (Monday) we did the Lake Apopka Wildlife drive. We saw 56 alligators! It was fun counting them. But, the drive was a little frustrating. We were behind a car that kept stopping and getting out and taking pictures. I finally walked up to them and said they weren't supposed to stop in non-designated areas. Then, like 2 minutes later, there was a pullout and they pulled over (if I'd realized how close we were, I would not have said anything). I wish I had just let it go. Although, it was annoying. We had parked and gotten out and walked in the designated areas (like you are supposed to) before continuing the drive, and I get annoyed when people don't follow the rules. I found it really selfish to make all the cars behind them wait. But, I am making excuses and still, I wish I could let more things go. I think I embarrassed the kids. 

A picture of the 50th alligator

After the drive, we went to library and lunch. It was a nice way to spend our day off.


No comments:

Post a Comment