Saturday, July 16, 2011

3 Unsupervised Children + 2 Pairs of Scissors = DISASTER

Today, I made a bad decision. The lawn really needed to be mowed. I thought the best way to try and get it done was while the kids were napping. I told them I was going to mow the lawn and that if they needed me to come outside. We had a busy morning so I thought they would fall asleep relatively easily. I waited until they were quiet and headed outside. About 15 minutes later they all came out. I sent them back in with the promise of a "special treat" if they would go take a nap. Stupid, I know. In my defense I felt like they were safer inside than wandering the yard (it's a big yard and I can't mow and keep a good eye on them). I am not sure why I thought they would stay in their rooms. Wishful thinking? Pure idiocy? About an hour later Anna came outside. I thought she looked a little odd, but presumed her ponytail had drifted to the side while she was laying down. The others quickly followed and I told them they could play outside.



As I was finishing the yard, I caught a good view of Anna from the side. Something was definitely up. I asked her if she cut her hair and she responded, "no, Mommy." It quickly became obvious and I started to laugh. She began laughing too, obviously pleased with my reaction. Well, until I told her that her hair looked awful, then she started crying.



I went to round up Jack and Kara so we could hurry to a hair salon. It was already close to 4 and I really wanted to get this fixed (as much as it could be) before church in the morning. Then, I noticed that Kara was looking a little odd. I quickly realized we had a second victim (pepetrator?). Her hair was actually kind of trendy looking. Someone's skills were improving...



We went inside and I was able to identify the crime scene (yes, that is a Constitution laying next to the scissors--I am not sure which inalienable right they were trying to apply). There was another set of scissors and hair in the hallway (actually, there was a trail of hair in the hallway).



On the drive to the Hair Cuttery, I finally got the full explanation. Apparently, after they went inside they "decided it would be a good idea" to cut their hair. Anna asked Jack if he would do the honors and he said "sure." Only half of her hair was cut because "it didn't look so good." I really wish I had a video camera on when they were relaying the story--it was hilarious! The only part of the story that remained unclear was how Kara got roped into it.

Here they are waiting at Hair Cuttery. They were quite a hit with the staff and clientele.



When asked how her hair should be cut, Anna said to "make it smaller."



Kara suprised me with how still she sat.

The finished product.

I recognize that I am VERY lucky. Three small children with some very sharp scissors close to eyes, ears, and necks could have been truly disastrous. I will consider it a lesson learned for all of us!

4 comments:

  1. Oh man! I'm sorry that happened, but SO funny! And you are right, at least it was just their hair that was cut. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sarah, at least it was only hair. I love reading your blog. Enjoy those three little cuties. They grow up so quickly! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did the lawn turn out?

    ReplyDelete