Thursday, July 28, 2011

Absconding From Parental Responsibility


While parenting alone does have some benefits (I can watch the Real Housewives of New Jersey without judgement, for example). There are some definite drawbacks. Mainly, I get tired. Having 3 little kids while managing the home life is exhausting. Certainly, it could be much worse. I have a great babysitter and a pretty good work schedule. But, still. Planning dinners, shopping, doing laundry, cleaning (occassionally), and my least favorite of all--putting them to bed. Stories, songs, hugs, kisses, more hugs, searching for blankets, books, special pillows, etc. And the whining, oh the whining! It gets tiring.

Today, Kara was having an issue with her diapers. I am not quite sure what was going on. But, we finally decided to just forgo the things and let her put on underwear. Kara is not close to being potty trained. But, I figured I'd roll the dice and see what happened. She put the underwear on and I asked Anna if she wanted to potty-train Kara. I wasn't serious. But, Anna and Kara didn't know that. They thought it was a great idea. So, I put my 3.5-year-old in charge of my 2.5-year-old. I absconded from responsibility.

Anna started with, "Kara, I will show you what to do. Come sit over here." A few minutes later, I heard her ask, "do you need to go potty, honey?" Kara answered affirmatively, so off they went. Anna put the potty seat on the toilet and waited while Kara tried to go. This was repeated several times. Anna called her "honey" all night. I think Kara may have actually peed once, but I don't know--because I didn't bother to go in and see. They were happy, I was happy. And, there were no accidents. She stayed dry for the 2.5 hours she wore the underwear.

No need to call child services, I will not make a habit over letting Anna parent Kara. I don't think Kara would stand for it for much more than a night anyway.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE that! That is adorable! :) Kara is such a trooper! I love her little personality. She is just so easy going. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You watch the Housewives of New Jersey? Still-- lol and excellent advice. I will ask Circe to take charge of McCabe, though murder is the likely result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I do Mike. And, I watch the aftershow. Highly entertaining!

    ReplyDelete