Wednesday, March 10, 2021

March Begins

In like a lion, out like a lamb. Instead of weather, it would be nice if this year that is Covid. Although, I wouldn't say it is in like a lion. The numbers seem to be improving. Hopefully, Spring Break and the new variants don't cause a change to the downward (or, at least holding steady) trend. It is hard to believe we are coming up on the year anniversary.

One year ago today I was at Disney with Kara, doing our epic 4-park challenge. It was an amazing day. I was supposed to go to Epcot on a field trip with Jack's Spanish class that was cancelled. Just one of many things. This is the kids' last week of school before Spring Break. Last year, they left without any clue that they had just had their last day in their respective grades. Kara's last physical day in elementary school came without any fanfare or even knowledge. It is so weird to look back on it now. So many things lost. But, fortunately for us, not our health. I am praying it stays that way. I am starting to get a little vaccine hungry. Several family members have been able to get vaccinated. And, I agree that they should be. My brother and sister have been teaching all year and definitely deserved to go to the front of the line. Of course, they were behind seniors, who our Governor dubbed the most vulnerable. I don't quite agree there. I think seniors should have been behind healthcare and essential employees. But, regardless, I am seeing people I know get the shot. And, it makes me anxious for my turn. 

Biden's stimulus package was passed. We won't get any windfall. Which, is fine, we haven't been financially impacted by the pandemic. But, neither have a lot of other people who will get a payout and that is frustrating. I wish there was a way to distribute the money to people who actually need it instead of racking up more national debt needlessly. I am glad I am not in charge of making the decisions, even though I know I have a lot of opinions on the topic. I read an article today that predicts Disney and other theme parks will be really crowded later this year as people have pent up desire to travel and now, thanks to the stimulus money, even more means to do it. I don't really think the Government should be funding people's vacations, at least not when we owe China 1 trillion dollars. Not that I fault any individuals, I wouldn't turn the money away if it was offered to me and if someone chooses to use it to vacation, I hope they have a great time.

But, I will step off my soap box. I am feeling cranky. It has been a long, trying year and some days it just wears thins. Unfortunately, those seem to be the days that I feel the need to write. Maybe it is time to start a personal journal again, instead of taking out my orneriness on my few blog readers. :)

In other news, Luke had his last football game on Saturday.  His coach had some very nice things to say to the team after the game, including that it was his favorite coaching experience. It was a good group of boys. He handed out medals and found something nice to say about each of the kids (for Luke, it was that he is an amazing receiver and catches the ball far better than anyone would expect for someone his age). It was a really good experience. Although, I am happy to have it off our plates and to free up another weekday night.

Everyone is excited for Spring Break. Although, unfortunately, Thomas and I aren't able to take much time off. Likely, just Friday. I think we might go to the zoo. Stay tuned.

And, to end--pictures of armadillos. The park where Luke has his baseball practice has a 0.5 mile walking loop. While walking on Tuesday, I saw two different armadillos in two different places. Florida definitely has a lot of interesting nature!






1 comment: