Thursday, April 8, 2021

Easter Week

Luke had another baseball game on Saturday. He had two at bats and got one hit. I don't think the ball ever came to him in the outfield. The team lost 9-8. And, one of the coaches got thrown out! Not his main coach, but one of the assistants. The umpire called a player out at home and the coach argued with him. I couldn't hear what he was saying, so at least he wasn't yelling, but he did get the toss and the umpire wouldn't let play resume until he was out of sight. This was a routine game with 7/8 year-olds, the stakes are not high. But, in fairness to the coach, he was right (Thomas and I had a clear view, the player was absolutely safe) and he had worked all night, then come straight to the game, so I imagine that being overly tired probably clouded his judgement. Regardless, it made things a little more exciting.

Saturday night, Luke went to an egg hunt in the neighborhood. Parents dropped off 12 filled eggs for each participating child. It started at 8 and right before, the organizers put glow sticks in all the eggs and placed them throughout one of the pocket parks. Some glowed, some did not, but it was fun for Luke to be out at bedtime. There were a few kids there he knew from his football team, so that was also nice. And, they had cupcakes, cookies and juice boxes. 

We had an in-house egg hunt on Easter and even the big kids had fun. 

We also went to the craft fair at Lake Eola. I can remember going as a teenager and loving it. So, I was excited to go back. This was its 46th year. It was a beautiful day to be outside and walking around. Thomas' only regret is not buying a picture he really liked (non-buyers remorse?).  Hopefully, the vendor will be back in the Fall and Thomas can get the picture. Anna bought a ring and I bought some woodwork art, so it was a good day. We had prime rib for dinner, a first for me. It turned out okay. But, I am not sure I will try it again, I liked the steaks we grill a little better. I also made ice cream pies, which were amazing. We called family members to wish them a Happy Easter and tried to figure out what eggs have to do with the resurrection.

I got my second covid shot Monday. My arm is a little sore, but no other side effects. Thomas got his Wednesday, he had a headache and a really sore arm. It is nice to have that done. Now, we just have to keep the kids safe. I was not worried about them before, and didn't think we would get them vaccinated, but some of the variants seem like they effect kids more, so we will have to see how that plays out. I am so tired of this pandemic and its never-ending nature.

Thomas finished the Harry Potter series and I finished A Promised Land (President Obama's book). Thomas thought some of the ending didn't make sense, but he still enjoyed the story. I enjoyed Obama's book as well, although I was disheartened to read more about how things work in Washington. Obviously, I know the system is broken. But, I guess I didn't realize how broken, and I know it has only gotten worse since he left office. For a majority of those in power, it seems the main objective is to stay in power, rather than to do what is best for the country. Oh, and to make the other side look bad at all costs. It is very disheartening. But, it was interesting to read history from his perspective and to get a behinds the scene look at some of the events that took place during his presidency. The book was really long (over 700 pages) and only covered about three years of his presidency. I am sure I will read Volume 2 when it comes out.

All three older kids went to school today for the writing FSA. Kara was very nervous. She has never stepped foot in the middle school, other than picking up her computer, so it was stressful. Jack is familiar with the school, but was still a little nervous about being able to find his classrooms. They were getting some mixed messages from their teachers about procedures after the test, so I sent an e-mail to the Principal. She called me almost immediately and was kind and responsive. This is my second interaction with her and I am very impressed. I am glad they are at a good school with good teachers and administrators (even if their dress code bugs me). And, the testing went "fine" it wasn't as bad as either of them expected.

And, in random news, I am slightly obsessed with these Harry Potter globes. We saw them at Five Below and I bought one. They come in a blind box, so you don't know what you are getting. I got Dumbledore. I sat him on my desk and enjoyed shaking him throughout the day. We got him on a Saturday and went back on Monday for more and they were gone. I checked eBay and they were selling for $15-20. I wasn't interested in paying much more than the $5 I got Dumbledore for. So, I periodically checked the Five Below website and caught them in stock. I bought the maximum of 5 and managed to get a nice set. I love them!




2 comments:

  1. Love the HP snow globes! Adeline got one for her birthday and it is Harry. She told me she’d let me borrow it when I set up my HP tree this year. 😍

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the eggs have actually nothing to do with the resurrection. LOL! They tried to give it a christian spin, but it has no significance. It ACTUALLY has to do with the pagan festivals during spring, surrounding "new life" during the springtime. SO people have ended up meshing everything together. Humans, am I right? And the power struggle.. people have lost sight of what the governing bodies are truly for. It is all about agenda and power. Even measly little commissioners here.. they have lost their mind. 2 are fighting against 4 here regarding the arts and after school extras in schools...because they dont wanna put forth the money towards their pockets. I am not being outlandish- it is actually what is happening. It is a mess here.

    Whats this?! Snow globes of HP?!? What!!!!!! I need to research this

    ReplyDelete