Sunday, April 5, 2020

Kara's Thoughts & Kori's Weekly Update

I told the kids they could write something for the blog. Kara immediately took me up on the offer. Below are her words:

With the Coronavirus going on, they cancelled school until May 1st! The government also issued a stay-at-home rule so I have not been anywhere but the drive-through for Chicken Salad Chick and in the car waiting for mom to get Moe's. In the morning, we do bike rides and if it is warm enough in the afternoon I go swimming. In between that is online school. Online school has been pretty easy so far. We have had Zoom meetings, where everyone can talk to the teachers. Zoom is an app like Facetime, you can see people you know and talk to them. During the meetings we talk about the work that we are doing. I had to do two hours of iReady and Social Studies Weekly Week 6. iReady is just you read the passage and answer questions about it. Social Studies Weekly is a magazine. For math and science we do Study Island and Go Math. Study Island is a test and Go Math is a workbook. I have been doing LOTS of Prodigy. Prodigy is an educational math game.

I can't believe I am saying this, but I wish I was in school. There is nothing to do here. It is too hot to go outside and I finished a TV series (Total Drama Island). I am reading every night, but I am running out of books. I am currently reading "A Woman in the House (and Senate)". It is about a woman in the House of Representatives and Senate. It is interesting.

Now onto thoughts about Coronavirus. For starters, it is very chaotic. We are cooped up in a house with 5 other people. To follow-up, it's kind of sad. We all saw this coming, yet nobody did anything about it. Now, almost everyone has it. Ultimately, the whole thing is odd, no one has seen anything like it. Plus, it is kind of weird not going anywhere. I personally think I would prefer to go to school on a Friday and walk home and then go to Disney and ride Slinky Dog Dash in the dark, then come home at 10 instead of doing online school and electronics and a family movie and ice cream.

Those are my thoughts about the Coronavirus.

Kori again: it is interesting to read what Kara wrote. I guess we will have to clear up the perception that "everyone has it".  Although, it can certainly feel that way as we look at the increasing numbers. But, right now, Florida has 11,500 cases. The population of Florida is 20,000,000. That is less than a quarter of one percent.

And, now here's my weekly update:
We have now been living with our new normal for 3 weeks. Nothing has changed since my mid-week update. The weekends are more fun than the weekdays, because we are responsibility free. Saturday, we rode our bikes to a park with some running trails and we all jogged the half mile loop. Then, we rode our bikes to the school in our neighborhood which has a walking track that is a 1/3 of a mile. We jogged that and then rode our bikes home. The whole evolution took about 30 minutes. We all agreed (except Luke) that it would be fun to set some fitness goals while we are quarantined. We have been riding bikes regularly, but it was nice to add in some jogging. We will see what kind of improvement we can make by the end of the month.

We also played games, sang karaoke, and watched the movie Onward (I was not a fan). We finally set up Luke's tree swing, which has now been tested by everyone but me. It already seems to be a favorite reading spot. In other words, it was just like virtually every other day we've had for the past 3 weeks (well, except the swing, that is new).

My only two pictures. Both of Luke.
He gets his picture taken the most, because he asks most frequently. He wanted to send this one to his teacher.

Zooming with his class.

1 comment: