Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Star Wars Rankings

As promised--the Star Wars rankings. I am pretty confident that absolutely no one has been eagerly anticipating this post. Of course, now that I think about, does anyone ever eagerly anticipate any of my posts???

Thomas, Jack, Kara and I each ranked all the movies independently. Then, I added up our rankings and divided by 4 to determine final placement. The master Wilson ranking is as follows:

1. Rogue One
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Rise of Skywalker
5. The Last Jedi
6. Solo
7. A New Hope
8. The Phantom Menace
9. The Force Awakens
10. Attack of the Clones
11. Revenge of the Sith

I think Kara and my rankings are more character-driven while Jack and Thomas are more plot-focused. In a funny twist, me and Kara had the same #1 (The Last Jedi), which came in dead last for both Jack and Thomas, giving it an overall placement of #4. Jack claims that our "love of The Last Jedi proves just how shallow" our understanding is of the Star Wars Universe. His #1 was Return of the Jedi. Thomas' was The Empire Strikes Back.

Rogue One was in the top 3 for me, Jack and Thomas and ranked fourth for Kara, which is how it earned the overall number 1 spot. Kara and I both really disliked the first three movies (IMO Anakin is the worst character ever and the love story between him and Queen Amidala is so unbelievable that it skews everything else). However, I will say that I really liked Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi Wan Kenobi, but it was not enough to overcome my dislike of Anakin.

I appreciated the slower pace of the originals, it was easier to know where they were and what was going on, I feel like in the newer movies, they are always on their way to someplace else and I am never quite sure of where, why or how. However, I found the characters a little less likeable than in the newest 3. I really liked Finn, Rey and Luke. Although, I hated that the Emperor came back, that made no sense. But, whatever, none of it really makes any sense.

Luke's favorite was Return of the Jedi. He watched some of them, but not enough to earn the ability to participate in the rankings. Anna did not want to watch at all, she is not a fan (although, I am not sure how you determine you are not a fan if you don't watch them?).

Other movie night choices include: The Princess Bride, Cool Runnings, Onward, Aladdin (live action), Frozen 2, That Thing You Do, and The Muppets (2014 version). We have now spent approximately 12000 hours watching movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment